Saturday, January 8, 2011

YEP, I'M A SLACKER!

The truth hurts, but it's a fact. Visited Stan's cousin Brian Carey in Wangaratta and first thing he said, "You're a slacker! You haven't been updating your blog!"
Well, here I am, 9th January 2011, and have to try and remember how to load photos onto the blog. So at the end of the week I might still be a slacker, but at least I have sat down and thought about it.
These days it even hurts to think!
At least last night we finally put our dream into reality. After a couple of check flights with Peter McLean a couple of days ago, we pushed the trike out, I flew, Stan passenger (his poor knees don't like being in the front or the back of the trike), and we did two landings, then pushed the trike into the hangar, closed the door and walked inside to watch telly! It can happen.
Not sure what we are going to do about Stan's flying. Trouble is his knees don't just hurt in the trike, but it takes several days to calm the pain down.
We also visited Whitfield, south of Wangaratta last Thursday, where Bruce Watson has a camp on the King River. Among the blackberries! We have never seen so many lush, flourishing blackberry bushes. The berries will be ready to pick in a couple of weeks, but I doubt I'll volunteer. It was very pretty and very relaxing on the banks of the River, with the water cool and clear.
We really enjoyed our visit to the Whitfield area, the countryside is still lush and green (for January).
And now, 10.31am, I am sitting at my desk, Stan has just opened the hangar door, and I have a great view over the two runways, Peter has just started up a trike, and in a few minutes I'll see him take off.
My distant view is vast flat paddocks, trees on horizon blocking the Warby Ranges, and if it is a clear day, and getting into the air in the trike, Mount Buffalo.
We are in a farming area, where paddocks of cereal crops go as far as the eye can see. Also rotating with the cereal a lot of canola, which turns the countryside a brilliant yellow.This area had flooding a month or so ago, and there is still a lot of water lying in low areas of paddocks, but the harvesting of the crops has been going ahead as soon as paddocks dry out enough to carry the heavy equipment without bogging.
I thought a few days ago I probably haven't changed our email address on the blog, so in case you need it, we are jesta.walker@gmail.com
Anyway, that is enough waffle for now, I'd better set about trying to locate some recent photos.

No comments: